JOB #3 – LITERATURE CONNECTIONS

The idea or theme of death in An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge reminds me of A Tale of Two Cities. The event of Fahrquhar awaiting his death on the bridge is similar to Sydney Carton anticipating his death on the guillotine in France. Peyton Fahrquhar reminds me of Sydney Carton for three reasons.

First these two scenes portray each man’s thought of death before it physically happens. In Fahrquhar’s case, he dreams about his wife and children and believes that he is with them at that moment. In Sydney Carton’s situation, he recites a Bible verse aloud and declares that he has finally done something meaningful in his life. In both cases each man sifts through his lifetime of memories before dying. That act leaves each man in a tranquil state of mind even though death is quickly approaching.

The second reason I see a similarity between these two characters has to do with their innocent conduct. The men do not appear to be guilty of a serious crime, yet they are murdered by officials. In Sydney Carton’s case in A Tale of Two Cities, he was simply sacrificing himself for Charles Darnay, while in this book, Fahrquhar was unfairly killed by the Northern soldiers for possibly attempting to burn the bridge.

The third reason I see a similarity between these two characters has to do with the way they are killed. Both men are high in the air awaiting their death. Sydney is on the guillotine waiting to be decapitated and Fahrquhar is on the bridge waiting to be hanged. In addition, both methods of death are extremely gruesome and awful. These are some reasons that the character Fahrquhar in this story reminds me of Sydney Carton.

Comments

  1. Interesting connection, Elsah. I haven't read Charles Dicken's "A Tale of Two Cities" yet, but based on what you have stated in your post, I definitely see the connection that there is between the two characters. However, as I have said in my response to Mercy's Line Illuminator, I do not think that Farquhar was entirely innocent of the charges, though I will agree that the painful execution of hanging without a trial or anything was harsh and morally questionable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morally questionable especially since Farquhar was tricked into coming to Owl Creek by an undercover Union soldier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes. You are right then! He did abandon his family and stuff, so he wasn't completely innocent. I get it now. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super connection, Elsah! I love Tale of Two Cities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great Elsah! I have never read “A Tale of Two Cities”, but you did a really great job on comparing the two. I loved how you gave all the similarities between the two characters. I’ll definitely remember this when I read “A Tale of Two Cities” one day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI Joshua, Tale of Two Cities was one of the books we read in last year's Literature class.
    Excellent comparison, Elsah! (Although I'm not completely sure that Farquhar was tranquil before his death. What do you guys think?)
    I also agree with Joshua that Farquhar was not innocent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, now that I think about it, I feel that Farquhar was kind of in panic mode, the opposite of tranquil!

      Delete
    2. I really don't know whether or not Peyton Farquhar was tranquil or not. Farquhar thought he was with his family (although he really wasn't) and could have been in a tranquil state of mind, but then again, Farquhar's mind was racing and was suffering delusion as a result of extreme stress. Like I said before, it could be argued either way, but I personally think that he was in more of a panic mode, as he was hurrying to his wife, and just as he was "about to clasp her [...] all is darkness and silence" (Chapter III). Farquhar's dream still was rife with unfulfillment.

      Delete
  7. I think that Carton thinking of a Bible verse means he was Christian, and he was ready to die. That's is more important than Farquhar thinking about family.
    I like your water background!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JOB #1 - LINE ILLUMINATOR